Hayley Kiyoko


Someone that I’m really thankful for is Hayley Kiyoko (I made the tough decision of not writing a Christina Wu appreciation post part 2 electric boogaloo). To be honest, I think writing this blog post is pretty scary for me. I feel like most people know that I’m not straight, but I’ve never said this to anyone in my family. I also just have a constant fear that people will treat me differently or think I’m weird or something if they know. Aka this post took me a long time to write and edit since it gave me major anxiety.

One day a couple years ago, I was aimlessly browsing through YouTube. Not gonna lie, I wasn’t very happy in middle school because I felt like other people didn’t really like me (except for a couple of my close friends). Anyway, I stumbled across the Girls Like Girls music video. Being bored and kinda sad, I decided to watch it to fill up 5 minutes of my time. Even though it’s definitely not my favorite song of Hayley Kiyoko’s, it ended up helping me accept myself for who I was. It made me feel less weird and out of place I guess. From then on, I became a really big fan. 

Over the years, she has become increasingly popular. It’s really inspiring to see yourself (in my case, a half-japanese gay woman) represented in the media as successful. It’s kind of strange, but I feel less alone with her around even if I’ve never met her. 

She also writes absolute BOPS. Hit & Run is my favorite song because of how upbeat and energetic it is. It usually makes me happy no matter how I’m feeling. Since she writes mostly about how she feels, I find myself relating to a lot of her songs (or at least parts of them). I really like demons because it addresses the internal struggles people can have. Sorry I didn’t go super in-depth on this part because I didn’t really feel comfortable talking about my feelings on here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Dog

Wuuuuu!

Free