My Favorite Dog

When I was little, I used to collect bugs because I desperately wanted a pet. I even ended up caring for an assassin bug (or wheel bug), which my mom was not very happy about. Finally (sometime in middle school), after YEARS of begging, I convinced my parents that we needed a puppy.

My mom wanted to get one from a breeder since we are both slightly allergic to dogs and she’s a little bit scared of some of them. We settled on a golden retriever because she said it would be the nicest one. We had to drive out to the breeder’s farm ever couple weeks to see the puppies and pick one out while she told us how to take care of them.

Of course, I picked out the most troublesome puppy in the litter. He was always somewhere he wasn’t supposed to be. One time they found him roaming around in the farm’s cornfield. Another time he was playing with their pony in its pen. While we were taking him home for the first time, he threw up on my lap. It was really gross and I had to sit like that for a solid 30 minutes.

My sister and I decided to name him Westley since we both love the Princess Bride (I’m trying to convince my mom that we need a cat named Buttercup now). Mostly, he just goes by Wessy. Sometimes he’s super hyper and other times he just lies around the house like an overly thick rug. Even though he’s like 6 years old, he still acts like he’s a puppy. He loves sprinting around outside and chasing the squirrels up our trees.

He loves people so much that it’s annoying sometimes. He’ll whine at 4:00 AM because he’s woken up and there isn’t anyone around him (his crate is in the kitchen which is on the opposite end of the house from our bedrooms). Whenever my brother and sister (or really anyone he hasn’t seen in a while) come home, he’ll grab their hand with his mouth and take them on a small house tour. He’s a really sweet dog and he’s usually gentle if he’s playing with you or showing you around the house, but sometimes he gets a little too excited. He aggressively wags his tail and follows my grandmother around every time he sees her because she always gives him the best treats. He also eats everything. When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. We have to be extra careful not to drop things on the floor because he will somehow teleport and eat it immediately. Fortunately he hasn’t swallowed anything major that would require him to need surgery to get it out. I tell him “Wessy! You’re my favorite dog!” every day because I love him so much.

Comments

  1. When I was younger, I visited my cousins and they had a dog. I was obsessed with that dog, and pet him all the time. After we left, I went through a whole phase where I absolutely needed a dog. I did all kinds of research on dogs and decided I wanted a Corgi. Sadly, we ended up never getting a dog. I'm over that phase now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Wessy. He's such a sweet and hyper dog. I'll confirm that definitely has a firm grip as he tries to drag you through the house. He's probably the only dog that has given me so much love and attention. Mary's golden retriever, Charlie, basically avoids me. Maybe I'm too much for him... who knows?
    I need your secrets on how to convince your parents to let you adopt a pet. Honestly, once I head off to college, I could just go get one. I've always said I wanted a husky but I recently learned about the Newfoundland breed which basically look like huge fluffy bears. Search it up, they look majestic. Perhaps, based off my situation, I would opt to get a cat instead. Maybe a persian or a Turkish angora... Regardless, I'm rambling so I'll go ahead and stop.
    If you were to get a cat though, what breed would you want to adopt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Westley sounds great. I like how chill cats are, but it's also really nice how expressive dogs are in their love for you. My dog also wags her tail really aggressively, to the point where she constantly knocks things off the coffee table and you can hear it hitting the wall from across the house. It must be painful, but I guess it's the dog equivalent to laughing so hard you're in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great descriptive details about Wessy! I like it when dogs greet people by taking their hand in their mouth. (My brother's pitbull does this, and I think it's wonderfully eccentric and endearing.) Also, great wheelbug reference--I only just discovered that they exist a few years ago when I found one in my garden, and I think they're fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Westley sounds like such a good boy. Pets really are parts of our family's and we are so lucky to have them in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dog is so loud. But he also sounds like an amazing dog and I don't think you made a mistake picking the troublesome puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wesley sounds like the absolute best! He may have his ups and downs but his personality seems priceless!

      Delete
  7. I really want a dog, but my mom is super allergic. Playful and energetic dogs are my absolute favorite but everyone else in my family thinks that they're super annoying. Westley sounds like he's super fun and I'm sure it never gets boring with him around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, this post makes me appreciate my dog a lot more. Unfortunately, as he's gotten older he's lost the energy of a puppy and by the second I'm relishing having Westley as a pet more and more. The post itself is so wholesome and happy too. I love that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wuuuuu!

Free